Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Department of Stashquisitions

 Collinette Jitterbug, in October Afternoon

 Wollmeise Lace in Magnolie Dark

 Malabrigo Lace in Jewel Blu

 Crazy Zauberball! Rainbow Lace

 Wollmeise Lace in Fritzi Frizzante (photos seem a little dark)

And generic sock yarn in black and white. (cheap!)

I haven't been doing a good job of keeping my keeping my stash up to date. I had fun with the elephant though.

The main point is to know what yarn I have, how much I have, and how much I can realistically knit. Of course it is always fun to rummage through the stash, but at this point, I have a lot of future knitting on my plate. I have 2 more Diantha shawls, and the Imagine It Wollmeise Swap/KAL to do before my wedding. I could surprise myself and crank everything out in short order. The main problem is that Diantha is hard to make a portable project. If there were no beads, it wouldn't be an issue. But the beads get everywhere, and they require a special tool, which periodically needs to be reloaded with beads. I try not be be that disruptive with my knitting in class.

What this also means, is that my stash is more than 5 years of yarn. Which begs the question, why did I buy this yarn in the first place?

a.) Uses up yarn I already have (generic sock yarn)
b.) Gift (Crazy Zauberball)
c.) I was shopping with a friend (Jitterbug and Malabrigo)
d.) Panic! Only available NOW! (Wollmeise, duh)

No, panic isn't a good reason. I bought the fritzi from a destash, and the magnolie from the loopy ewe. The problem is that while the loopy ewe is pretty easy to buy from, it really isn't as good of a value as buying directly from Germany. And I wasn't smart since I didn't make the threshold for free shipping. DOH! Live and learn.

I am hoping that I can combine the zauberball and the malabrigo and make a daybreak much like this one. Rainbows in the sky! It will be so freaking awesome!
Here is the link to her blog. I actually started to follow her blog today. I like reading blog of the 20-somethings who knit. They are a pretty cool bunch. Since she posts daily, I won't read the archives. I have enough distractions in my life, and the design of the page makes it really hard to get to the beginning.

The orange yarn is going to become socks for the dear sweet lovable one. I adore that he is a crazy socks person. It is a real challenge to find yarn obnoxious enough for him. Orange is a requirement. I have no clue when I am going to get around to it. It might be after I finish the WM bender, known as the 12 in 12 KAL.

One of the skeins of WM is getting swapped away. I love both colorways, which is why I bought the Fritzi in the first place, so I would have a spare. Whichever remains might become a featherweight sweater. Or I will love the skein I get in return, and then I will wind it and make the featherweight with it instead. I am open to the possibilities.

I suspect the remaining skein will become an Evenstar. Not soon, I think I will be knitting my silk lace before I get to another woolly lace project. Perhaps another factor to consider is that I have 3 projects in the hopper, and I am completely daydreaming about all of the things I will make next.

The neutral colors are intended for my scraps. Early in my sock knitting career I tried to use every last bit of the yarn. As my color selections got more crazy it has become impossible to match leftovers with projects, so the black and white are good choices for the projects that I want to play with color work. If there is anything I have learned from fractals, black goes with any gradient, and white is a good guess for second place.

Distracted much?

I did finish 2 things today. Ornamental and Diantha #3 are done. Yea!


 Fun stuff : )

That's all for now, take care guys

Molly : )

No comments:

Post a Comment